A memoir of D-DAY June 6, 1944

By Gerry Barker

June 6, 2019

I was a 13 year-pld patient in the former Hospital for Sick Children on College Street in Toronto.

I had been in a coma for two weeks with a massive undetermined infection and I was in an isolation ward. My mother was not allowed in the room and had to stand on a fire escape platform and talk to me through the window.

My first recollection of coming out of the coma was looking up at the front page of the Globe and Mail with the Headline:


Over the next few days my condition improved with one exception. I had developed an abcess behind my left eye that had to have a rubber tube inserted to drain the matter. Periodically, the tube passage behind the eye would close and had to be forced open with forceps.

What saved my life was Penicillin that entered my body through long gold needles inserted around my ankles and supplied it intreveniously.

I was six weeks in the hospital and my mother was told that I had osteomelitus in the bone orbit around the eye socket. He said they would have to graft bone from my forearm to cure that situation.

My mother was not prepared to have me go through that procedure and requested a second opinion.

I’ll never forget Dr.Phillips who burst into my room followed by a group of nurses and medical students. He removed the eye bandage and poked a needle-like device and inspected the orbital area.

“Where do you live Gerry?”

I told him in Aurora.

“Good” he said, “that’s on my way to the cottage. I’ll drop in and check you out in a week.,” he said. “ You can go home.”

I never heard from him again. But I’ll remember those words to this day. Maybe he had a flat tire and couldn’t replace it. It was wartime and everything was rationed.

My best friend came down to see me and said I looked terrible, just skin and bones.

By September, my mother and grandmother were involved in war services to pilots in training and then young women navel personnel known as WRENS in Ottawa. We had an apartment across the street from the Prime Minister’s residence and next door to the famous World War 1 pilot, Billy Bishop.

In 1945, we returned to our home in Aurora. I had recovered and developed a sudden interest in girls.

In 1947, I enlisted in the Queen’s York Rangers, 1st American Regiment, Royal Canadian Armoured Corps as a trooper. In 1951, I graduated as a First Lieutenant at the Armoured Corps school in Base Borden. I spent nine years in both active duty with the regular forces and the reserves.

When I joined the staff of the Toronto Star, my military career ended in 1957. That lasted until 2007 when I was invited to join the Ranger’s Regimental Council. I met many former colleagues with whom I served. The council was engaged in fund raising for projects that lay outside government funding.

My association with the military remains a part of my life and still has a great influence.

Four members of the Barker family served in World War 1. Two, John and Thomas were killed in action. Mt father served in France and Siberia while my Aunt Gladys served as a nursing sister overseas in that period.

My mother and father named me after John and Thomas, uncles I never knew.

I will never forget June 6, 1944. It was the beginning of Canada’s new age and growing into a major economic power in the world. Let us not forget those men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice on on our behalf.





Filed under Between the Lines

6 responses to “A memoir of D-DAY June 6, 1944


    A very moving and human story,Gerry.Glad you survived and are still with us!Regarding D Day-we will remember them!

  2. b browne

    thank-you Gerry for your thoughts & memories.

  3. b browne

    thanks for your thoughts, memories and experiences that you shared Gerry.

  4. Gerry, thank you for sharing your story. I think you had an amazing Mother making sure your medical needs were put in the spotlight. I am glad Dr. Phillips took good care of you. I am sorry you had to go through great physical pain. Did you and your family ever meet or see Prime Minister Mackenzie King, and, Billy Bishop? Gerry, you write about your sudden interest in girls. Did you meet Barbara in 1945 🙂

    • Maryheyens:Barbara and I are second time around partners with 36 years behind us. My mother was a widow at 40 with two sons, My brother Peter, who was seven years older than me, passed away three years ago aged 93. My mother was indeed a remarkable and resilient woman who put up with an active ten-year old. She lived until she was 101 and was determined to outlive the Queen Mother. I think it was a tie.

      Did I mention that my grandmother and mother were newspaper illustrators, reporters and editors? I guess I was destined to follow in their footsteps.

      Thank you for your comments. I was taught early in life that the history of the world lies within the lives of the families. I am now working on a book titled, MOM 101, a profile of a mother who was resourceful, tough and loving who survived three marriages. You’ll have to wait for the rest of the story.

  5. Gerry Barker, thank you for your reply. I look forward to buying a copy of your book, MOM 101, reading more about your life experiences, and, your Grandmother and Mother’s lives in the newspaper industry. I wish you and Barbara a relaxing weekend. Talk with you soon 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s